Welcome to Peter Doucet's updates from the 2006 World Roller Speed Skating Championships coming to you direct from Anyang, Korea. Updates are planned to be posted on a nightly basis or perhaps less frequently once racing begins. The championships take place September 2nd to the 9th. Peter Doucet & the rest of the Canadian team will leave Canada on August 27th and return on September 11th.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Amazing Opening Ceremony

All I can say about the opening ceremonies is that they were absolutely incredible. The organizers have their act together and it was proven tonight. Before some athletes marched out, there was a great show featuring breakdancers, tae kwon do, traditional dances, choir, fire and fire works, and speeches.

Every single smallest detail is taken care of. The pamphets, the flags, the glow sticks for the audience. Even Tyler Cogdon today who was at meetings all day received a beautiful belt with a clock in the buckle featuring worlds logos embossed into the metal.

I've eated my dinner early because I went shopping the other day (you probably saw the vide0- if you can't find the videos, look right and scroll down and you'll see them). Most of the team is out right now at a Korea grill. I'm just sitting down, lying down, and listening to music.

Tomorrow will be the 300-meter and the 15km points/ elimination races. I'll be in the 15k with Andrew. Andrew and AJ will skate the 300. Alex and Jade will do the 300 and Alex and Jesse will do the 15k. I think Sigrid is doing both. I'm going to warm-up for the 300's so I can get more time on the track and learn the corners some more.


The Canadian team before the opening ceremony. Jesse and Sigrid are not in the picture because they had to leave 3 hours earlier from the hotel to rehearse the flag ceremony. Alex Perrie and Tyler were away at meetings and missed the start of the ceremony.


Tea Kwon Do- the demonstration squad from the university. These people were amazing. Just amazing.


The city youth choir- they had 4 melodies going at once and sounded amazing. They had dance rituals and their timing and tone was bang on.


People dressed as something that I can't describe came out with a wheel. The skate was lowered from the ceiling and the wheels were attached. The whole skate was then lifted.


Jessica Smith and Brittany Bowe- two great american skaters. I've never seen them not smiling. They're even always nice to me!


50 coutntries at this year's worlds. Thousands of people filling the arena for the spectacle.


The Italians were super enthusiastic, waving flags and being happy and proud about their country. They just all seem so super happy to be at worlds, I find the joy really shines through in them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information of the Championship, I hope that Colombia will be the champion. I'll be following the championship in your blog. Thanks and good luck Canada

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home